The Horten 229 was a prototype fighter/bomber developed by the Germans during World War II. It was the only aircraft to come close to meeting Hermann Goring's "3x1000" performance requirements, namely to carry 1,000 kilograms (2,200lb) of bombs a distance of 1,000 kilometers (620mi) with a speed of 1,000 kilometers per hour (620mph). It's ceiling was 15,000 metres. The body of the aircraft was constructed of plywood and special paint to provide a 20% reduction in radar detection.


In 1944, on the aircraft's first test flight it out performed it's trail plane, a Me 262 jet fighter using the same engines. In the final closing days of the war the US Army siezed the prototype and shipped it back to the US for testing. Successful flights were made in the states. The aircraft now lays in a Smithsonian wearhouse near Washing DC. The Smithsonian was kind enough to send me images and documented specs that were not otherwise available.

I built the wings with nurbs, getting the shape right. I then converted to poly and added detail.


I want to finish the experimental ejection seat in ZBrush, along with a few other things. ZBrush is great for adding screws and text, leather, ...


I still have to finish all of my seams. I cut a line, then bevel that line to add lines to each side, then I lower the original line to create a crease, or seam in the wing. I then import the wing into ZBrush preserving hard edges and adding screws, text and other surface detail. I burn a normal and occlusion map back onto my simple wing back in Maya.


Horten Radio